Should You Have Your Ducts Cleaned?
What is the Purpose of Duct Cleaning?
Indoor air quality is always cause for concern, especially when you consider the increased pollution in the air over time. When air enters your house, it is recycled over and over by your home’s ducts. When done properly, the process does not harm your home’s ductwork and is effective in cleaning out impurities. Some benefits of professional duct cleaning include:
- Saves Money - When ducts are overly bombarded with debris, your home’s cooling and heating systems must work over time to blow air through them. Duct cleaning may help reduce your energy costs and make your units more efficient. Consider getting it done especially if you have completed renovations or moved home recently.
- Improves Health - By removing contaminants in your ducts, you can improve indoor air quality, which is especially helpful to individuals faced with allergies, asthma or other respiratory diseases.
- Improves Sanitation - If your ductwork has been infested by rodents or insects, having them professionally cleaned and sanitized will remove any diseases or contaminants present.
When You Should Have Your Ducts Cleaned
Some companies may attempt to sell you on the idea of cleaning annually or every other year. While you should clean your ducts, the frequency can depend on several factors, and there is no set timeframe for what is appropriate. While it is recommended you clean them every three to five years, there are times you may need to clean more frequently. Some reasons you may want to clean out your ductwork include:
- Your Home is New - Brand new homes often have construction dust and debris remaining after the job is complete. This can include wood shavings, drywall dust and carpet fibres. Cleaning out the ducts prior to moving in can eliminate these items. The same situation occurs post home renovations.
- Mold Growth - If you have visible mold growth inside your ducts, the entire HVAC system should be cleaned and sanitized to remove these impurities.
- Contaminants - If there are noticeable odors, pet hair, debris or other contaminants inside the ducts, these could be released into the air as your heating or cooling system is engaged. Removing these will reduce the number of contaminants inside your home.
- Installing a New Furnace or Air Conditioner - If you have upgraded your home’s heating or cooling systems, cleaning out your ductwork will not only ensure you get maximum efficiency, but it may be required by the manufacturer for the warranty.
Babayan’s offers professional duct and furnace cleaning for homeowners concerned about their health and indoor air quality. Our inspectors will assess the amount of buildup and debris within your system to determine the type of cleaning required. If necessary, we offer commercial disinfectants to clean and fully sanitize.